Monday, August 18, 2014

Transformative Yoga Retreat...My Personal Experience


I entered the summer of 2008 feeling so depressed, disconnected and alone. At the time, I was a school teacher living overseas. Usually summer brought a feeling of happiness, freedom and reconnecting with friends and family. Not this summer. I had been divorced for about 2 months, and was initially very happy with letting go of what had become an exhausting & toxic relationship. I relished in the abundance of freedom and "Me" time. But, as I hopped on the 12 hr. flight home from Japan to New York, heading into my  first summer in 13 years that wouldn't include my ex-husband, the sadness and loneliness of being 39 yrs old and single hit me hard. On top of that, my Aunt Sue had cancer. She was much more than an aunt, she was like a mother to me, a best friend and someone with whom I connected deeply. This would likely be her last summer. That hit me even harder. And then came the reminder that I no longer had a husband's shoulder to cry on while my aunt died. Utter depression. I don't know how many of the 12 hours of that flight I spent crying. 

Needless to say it was an interesting visit home that summer. (My Aunt's house was always my "home" in the US the entire time I lived overseas). My brother and father arrived for our usual summer gathering at my aunt's house, as did my cousins and other family members. I remember at least one night, while we all sat at the dinner table, I had to excuse myself from the table and run to my bedroom to cry about my divorce and my aunt's impending departure from the earth. That summer turned out to be the last time I ever saw her in person. And I wasn't fully present due to my emotional roller coaster from the circumstances surrounding my divorce. That just sucked. When I left that summer, as I hugged my aunt goodbye, I said my usual, "See you next summer!"...and added, "Right?" Knowing I wouldn't. She replied, "Yes, of course honey!" knowing she would be gone by then. 

Aunt Sue and me in FL. Summer 1999.

And, wow, what the heck does this have to do with a yoga retreat? Well, the 12 hr return flight to Japan was once again fraught with tears and puffy eyes. I knew that I needed SOMETHING to help me put some of the pieces of my life back together before starting the new school year and my new single life. I was a mess and needed some super glue for my soul. Enter a Surf & Yoga Retreat! It was a week long retreat in Bali, Indonesia that was filled with daily yoga, learning how to surf, clean eating, sight seeing and new friends. As a newly single women, with basically only married friends, I felt alone and misunderstood. Don't get me wrong, my friends were amazing and supportive, but they had NO idea how it felt to be alone after being married for so long. So, ummmm, yes...I absolutely needed to get away and have soul recharging time with like-minded people. 

The amazing ladies I met at the Yoga & Surf Retreat. 

So, I booked the retreat, and to this day, I am incredibly grateful that I did. I met some amazing women, many of whom I still keep in touch with. I healed my body and spirit doing daily morning yoga by the pool (and this was well before I ever even thought about being a yoga teacher). The time spent surfing in the ocean healed my soul and mind, and brought out the playful child in me. Every night, I had someone amazing to talk to. I heard stories about my new friends' paths and journeys. I ate the most delicious food...and it was so nice to not have to cook and clean up for the week. I'd been to Bali before, but not as a tourist in a group. It was fun to go exploring and shopping with new friends. Some days, I just laid at the pool and read a book, other days were spent getting massages and pedicures. There was also time for introspection, reflection, reading and journaling. Each day brought exactly what I needed. And by the time I stepped off the plane, back home in Japan, I was truly transformed. I was calm, yet re-energized to start teaching a new school year. I was clear headed about my divorce and ready to start my single life with confidence. My body was feeling healthy and cared for, and I had a smile plastered to my face. Much needed inner peace and calm surrounded my heart. 


My first time surfing! 

I've been on 2 other yoga retreats, during less dramatic times in my life, and I've always returned home refreshed and transformed in some way. Shoot, if possible, I'd recommend some sort of retreat or getaway (different from "vacation" with family) each year as restoration for the mind, body and soul.


by Brooke Nisbet
E-RYT200, RYT500
Yoga Teacher | Yoga Teacher Trainer | Yoga Mentor | Wellness Guide
http://peaceloveyogahealth.wix.com/brookenisbet


No comments:

Post a Comment